About Me

A practising lawyer, living in London with his lovely spouse, and 2 dogs . Making a living of the law, while trying to find time to write and express

Saturday 14 January 2012

QWERTY #2 - Spring 1997

This story was written after I had completed my M.A. thesis (and during a time when I was battling the inescapable conclusion that I no longer had anything new or interesting to say).  It was published in the spring 1997 issue of QWERTY

i wrote a story about vienna while my father lay dying

I sit composing a fiction about Vienna and about falling in love with someone other than my fiancée, when the phone rings; I look at the clock – 7:13 p.m. My mother's on the other end. ”Dad's in hospital. He’s okay, just some chest pains" She tries to sound calm, talking like she’s rubbing my back. Instead, that false calm sounds like dead-silence before an alarm. I'm thinking of buildings a disturbing shade of gold, the colour beneath five centuries of soot, and the imperfect beauty of the woman who might have loved me. Mom suggests it's his heart, considering the man's age; hearts forever breaking down as they do. My mother implies he'll be in hospital a while, as they mend what’s broken. I think I hear coronary, infarction, angina. I swear my mother said those words, then promised to call back if there was any change. Mom, sounding calm as low tide, sends love.

Something breaks inside so I build verbal buttresses around frail muscle. In my head a castle falls down. I write a story, not about the Blue-Danube, postcard Vienna; St. Stephensplatz crowded with pigeons like mawkish old men; Klimt faces in every Kaffeehaus, but about the other Vienna: the cold-hearted place with its harsh cigarettes and forty-shilling coffee, walled against foreign features. This contrary, miraculous Vienna, an oddly shaped beauty moving me by one ginger elbow through the Christkindlmarkt. Past stalls of ornaments, Glühwein, Maroni …     

In the story the woman loves me. You can make people love you in stories. I wait for the phone to ring, thinking my father will die before I finish. His heart is broken. My mother's hopeless reassurance becomes long-distance silence. Midnight: I assume my father is deeply cold or under a knife. I stop writing a story about Vienna as my father lay dying.

I have a problem telling the truth, so I tell stories.

The call actually comes at 3 p.m.: I start the story later. I like Vienna more than I say, and love the woman less. Her feelings for me are pursued by question marks. My heart, therefore, is not so bad. Neither is my father’s, not nearly so bad as I pretend. He passes tests of the heart with flying colours. My mother sounds calm because she is calm; she says nothing about hearts — I compose words to justify writing about a woman who probably never loved me. If I told you that I retreated into fictions because my father had chest pains from eating pepperoni, you wouldn't have come this far.

In retrospect, everything’s fine. Except the story. The story is a disaster. 


No comments:

Post a Comment